CAPITAL CITY ADMINISTRATION BUILDING - SYMBOL OF PERMANENCE AND CULTURAL PROPERTY OF UNUSUAL ARCHITECTURAL EXPRESSION30/12/2020
In December 2017, the Capital City administration building was given a status of an immovable cultural property of local significance, considering the fact that this building tells a story about the genesis of old Podgorica and construction methods in this particular area between the two world wars, but it also represents a person whose work is considered a significant architectural achievement from the 20th century.
With the aim of improving an overall condition of this cultural property, the facades of the building have recently been painted, and according to the conservation project, the Capital city reconstructed one part of the building and replaced old windows, implemented the new cooling and heating system, and removed air conditioners that spoiled the outward appearance of this cultural good.
We all know that the construction of the Podgorica Municipality building had begun in 1929, according to the project of an architect Veliša Popović, who managed to convey a special, festive spirit of an object using harmonious proportions and reduced symmetry. The building was completed in 1931, recognizable not only by its architecture, but also by being one of the few buildings to have survived the bombing of Podgorica. After the World War II, it was given another floor and flat roof structure.
Even though the building has undergone certain changes, it kept its original shape and appearance to this day. In its immediate vicinity there is a cultivated, horticultural garden and a Monument to Marko Miljanov. At the front side, the facade is manifested in two planes whose slightly accentuated definition forms a basis of a thoughtful play of window openings. The perfect harmony, proportionality and balance of the building have been achieved with this full-empty and horizontal-vertical relationship.